Archery answers is an easy-to-read book that introduces you to the world of archery. The book discusses the different equipment, technique, arrow making, and DIY projects. The book follows two fictional characters, Celeste and Blake, who guide you with a conversational tone through the hobby. Therefore, this is a great book for people that are new to archery and want to get started or learn more about the hobby.
In this article, I will discuss this book in more detail. So, keep reading if you are interested in this book!
ISBN-10 : 1522965890
ISBN-13 : 978-1522965893
An overview of the book
The book has the following chapters:
- Equipment: starts with discussing the different parts of the bow and the history behind it. This prepares you when you want to buy your first bow.
- Arrow components: the parts of an arrow and how an arrow works are discussed.
- Arrow making 101: builds on the next chapter and explains in detail how to make arrows.
- Archery practice: prepares you for your first day at the range with information on how to set up your bow and some basic technique.
- Deepening your practice: discusses the mental aspects of archery and how to enjoy it.
The next four chapters are DIY projects on how to make a bow stringer, finger tab, armguard, and string keeper. These guides are a good way to save a few bucks and to customize your gear.
What to expect
This book teaches you the basics of archery in an enjoyable manner. It doesn’t assume any prior knowledge about the sport, which makes it a great first book if you want to get started. It’s extremely easy to read since it has a conversational tone and has lots of pictures. This book would also be a great book for teens that are interested in this sport!
The book is not set up as a manual, which means that you don’t learn everything there is to know about archery by reading this book. Some technical aspects are purposely omitted, such as spine weight, draw weight, and bow length. But if everything would be included it would be thousands of pages and it wouldn’t be fun to read.
You can clearly notice that the author likes to make his own gear whenever possible. The DIY projects are easy to follow and work great. Since I also made some tabs, bow stringers, and armguards, I can confirm that these guides work great.
The book mainly focuses on traditional archery in a recreational setting. Therefore, if you are looking for information on Olympic recurve or compound archery, this is not the book for you.
Who should buy this book?
I recommend this book if:
- If you are new to the world of archery: the book assumes no prior knowledge about archery therefore it easy to understand even for people that never shot a bow.
- If you are interested in the basics of archery: you will learn the basics of shooting a bow, making arrows, and choosing the right gear. Therefore, it’s a great starting point if you want to get into the hobby.
- If you like DIY projects: the book has a ton of ideas on how you can make your gear. So, if you like crafts, this is the right book for you!
You might want to give this book a pass if:
- If you want a complete manual: this is not a complete technical manual. It’s meant to be read for fun and not to learn complicated concepts and terminology.
- If you already know a lot about archery: this book mainly covers the basics of archery. Veteran archers will not learn a lot of new things by reading this book.
- If you are not interested in traditional archery: if you are not interested in traditional archery at all, this might not be the book for you. The book has no information on how to shoot with a sight or how to shoot a compound bow.
Since I am already into archery for at least 6 years now, I wasn’t really in the target group for this book. I also mainly shoot Olympic recurve and compound bows. Still, I really liked the book. Although most concepts were familiar to me, the book served as a good refresher.
I also liked the DIY projects and it taught me to see archery from another perspective. Currently, I enjoy archery as part of a club and participate in competitions. I am shooting with a high-end bow and always looking for new ways to improve my shots. For me, archery tends to be focused on performance and accuracy.
This book brought me to go back to my roots and enjoy archery like when I just started. Practicing with my homemade bow in my backyard, without any expectations or pressure.
As full disclosure, I wanted to add that I got a free review copy from the author to review this book. Although I did not get paid to write this review, I will get a commission if you buy the book via my link.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this book review, please leave them down below. I would love to answer them! You will receive an email once I replied to your comment.